[slickr-flickr tag=”statesman dinner”]
Celebrating leaders who put policy before party for the greater good was the theme of the night as the Oregon Business Association honored a team of 11 “Health Care Heroes” with its prestigious Statesman of the Year Award.
Each year, OBA presents its Statesman award to leaders and visionaries exemplify the definition of Statesman as one who promotes the common good of the citizens of Oregon with great wisdom and integrity.
In addition to the awards, nationally recognized speakers Mark Penn and Ron Shaich addressed the audience of about 550 attendees. Penn served as chief political strategist and pollster for former U.S. President Bill Clinton and was recently hired by Microsoft as Corporate VP, Strategic and Special Projects. Penn presented remarks on the “New American Electorate” and participated in a question-and-answer session with April Baer of Oregon Public Broadcasting, offering his views on the upcoming November elections.
Congressman Kurt Schrader introduced business leader Ron Shaich, founder of Panera Bread and co-founder of No Labels. Shaich spoke passionately about the importance of breaking gridlock in Washington D.C. by pushing elected leaders to work together.
Previous OBA Statesman Dinner keynote speakers have included U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan, U.S. Sen. Chris Dodd, U.S. Sen. Lincoln Chafee and U.S. Sen. John Edwards.
A tribute video celebrating this year’s Statesman of the Year honorees and highlighting Oregon’s extraordinary bipartisan efforts to bring about health care reform is posted on OBA’s YouTube Channel at: http://www.youtube.com/OregonBusinessAssoc
Footage of the event itself, including keynote presentations and the awards ceremony, will soon be available as well.
The 2012 OBA Statesman of the Year Award Honorees are:
- Commissioner Tammy Baney, Deschutes County
- Sen. Alan Bates, Senate District, Ashland
- Dr. George Brown, CEO, Legacy Health
- Dr. Bob Dannenhoffer, Roseburg
- Rep. Tim Freeman, House District 2, Roseburg
- Megan Haase, FNP, CEO, Mosaic Medical, Prineville
- Rep. Tina Kotek, House District 44, North Portland
- Andrew McCulloch, CEO, Kaiser Permanente
- Dr. Joe Robertson, President, OHSU
- Lillian Shirley, Director, Multnomah County Health Department
- Greg Van Pelt, Chief Executive, Providence Health & Services – Oregon Region